Monday, March 16, 2009

Update from Room 625

I just wanted to let you know how treatment's going now that I'm finally settled in my hospital room...

Well, praise the Lord -- another couple of unexpected "yeses" came my way today! As it turns out, the first big drop of this coaster ride wasn't as bad as I had imagined it to be after all (at least so far... we're still not done yet)! Isn't it crazy how often we get unnecessarily anxious over that which God can... and wants to... take care of for us?

So far, so good! This morning, I started by receiving a bunch of anti-nausea medications along with Benadryl. Immediately following, they started giving me my 24-hour chemotherapy medication. It's a smaller dose spanned out over a long time, so I've had very little (as in almost zero) nauseousness from it. I was tired for a while as the Benadryl wore off, but other than that... I feel pretty good right now! So join me in praising God for this tremendous gift!

In addition, I realized today how often I completely miss the "little" gifts and and mercies God blesses me with every day. As I sat (for hours) in the Infusion Center waiting for a room to open up for me, I saw two people who had recently had the same port implanted as I did. Both of them had complications and had to postpone their treatment. I didn't even think to thank God that everything went so smoothly with my new port when we accessed it this morning with no problems at all! I certainly did later, though! Have you had anything like that happen in your life today? Did you miss a gift from God in the moment? If so, you've still got time to stop and thank the Lord for how good he is to you! Go ahead, do it now... I'll still be here.

Glad you're back! Now, let's continue with my treatment update:

When my current medication is completed tomorrow, they will give me another round of anti-nausea medications and Benadry. Then, I will get a 1-hour dose of another chemotherapy medication. That one might pack more of a punch because the dosage is higher and faster, so please pray that my physical symptoms aren't bad from that one.

Once I'm through with that medication, I'll be sent home to wait out the next week to ten days to see how I'm affected by all these medications (again, more lessons in patience and trust). I might have nausea; I'll definitely be exhausted; and my hair will begin to fall out in clumps... but I am confident that God will get me through it -- no matter how physically difficult it is!

"As for God, his way is perfect; the Word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield to all who take refuge in him. For who is God besides the Lord and who is the Rock aside from our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect." ~Psalm 18:30-32

7 comments:

  1. I praise God that he is able to show you AND me the good parts of difficult situations. Daily on my knees for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear from you. I've been praying for you daily and you are often in my thoughts. I too need to learn the patience and just letting God take care of things. I had also wanted to pass along a message from my friend Tero in Finland. He says, "Forward my regards to her and tell her, that never give up and just push forward. Lord will take care of His owns."
    Blessings...Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Heather. Isn't great how the Lord knows what we need before we do. Small blessings like the port implant going well are signs he is looking out for you. You are so right about being able to say thanks later for things you might forget to be thankful for at first. He doesn't hold it against yo when you forget to "send that thank you note" right away. Lean on the lord and he will get you through this. I hope the medication doesn't make you too terribly sick or weak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From one Heather to another: We are named for a flower(well technically a weed but a pretty one) so Spring is our season of Hope and rebirth! Praying for you!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, you are amazing. A true, godly insperation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. saw Steve this weekend at a youth leaders retreat at Three Springs...sorry you had to cancel coming this summer but I"m sure you can make it up there again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just got to this via Bob Mc Gann's Facebook feed. So sorry that you're going through this, yet glad to see you maintain a sense of humor. Amazing still is the connection to God:

    Psalm 121
    A song of ascents.
    1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
    where does my help come from?

    2 My help comes from the LORD,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

    3 He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber;

    4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.

    5 The LORD watches over you—
    the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

    6 the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.

    7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
    he will watch over your life;

    8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
    both now and forevermore.

    Will be praying for you. When you get a moment, check this out:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqantZJ6WwM

    God bless,
    — Phil Donaldson

    ReplyDelete